10.24.2011

6: spring 2012 fashion videos

After following New York, Milan, and Paris Fashion Weeks and seeing all of the beautiful garments going down the runway, I fell in love with Paris.  Each Fashion Week was unique to their city, and I think all of the designers embraced "the city of love".  I found this video on style.com that recaps Paris fashion week and highlights some of the trends and major influences.  I saw beautiful pieces in so many collections, but I particularly loved Chanel and Alexander McQueen, who along with several other designers had an underwater inspiration.  

The beginning of the video starts with Tim Blanks, the narrator of the video, describing the story in Paris this season as "pretty women in a drowned world" and I think this perfectly describes Karl Lagerfeld and Sarah Burton's collections for Chanel and McQueen.  They both have an ethereal fantasy about them, with feminine and seductive yet modest silhouettes.  Simply perfection

I think it is so interesting how Karl Lagerfeld said in this video that "the oldest things can be the most modern", referring to the inspiration he took from the bottom of the ocean floor which has been around forever.  He took his collection a step further as he always does and created a magical underwater environment at his runway show with giant coral in an all-white palette.  The collection wasn't typical "Chanel", but each piece was still as beautiful as the next.


In a description of Burton's Spring 2012 collection for McQueen on style.com, Tim Blanks describes Lagerfeld's models as nymphs and Burton's as goddesses...all of the pieces giving off a vibe of fish in the sea - with movement, soft colors, romance, and ultimate femininity.

4 comments:

  1. The Chanel Spring 2012 Fashion Show was just breath taking as it is with all the Chanel Fashion Shows! I like the fact that the show was not just a simply runway with models walking down, but a real show with decors that take your breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Diana, the Chanel Show blew me away. The way that Karl Lagerfeld created a chic underwater theme was absolutely amazing. The cloths were spot on as well. For me, the decor was almost better than the clothes themselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I think without the decorative elements in the show, the clothes wouldn't have made such an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Chanel show was beautiful, like always, and so was the McQueen show. The glove bracelets were amazing, they remind me of Indian henna designs on hands. I love McQueen's silhouettes, and the color palette is so soft, but you still have that aquatic feeling. Paris fashion week is so exciting, because it's so unique. Great post!

    ReplyDelete